History and Traditions
The history of making and development of
«Red October» is a matter of particular pride of its employees.
All historical landmarks of the enterprise development are
reflected in the exposition of the factory museum opened in 1992 and
containing unique genuine exhibits.
The founder of the factory is Teodore Ferdinand von Einem,
a German subject, who in 1850 arrived in Moscow in the hope to start his own
business. At first, he started producing sawed sugar, then he organized in
Arbat Street a small workshop for production of chocolate and sweets. Einem's
partner became Julius Heuss, a German too, who had an outstanding talent of
a businessman. Together they acted more assuredly and opened a sweet shop in
Teatralnaya Square. Having accumulates sufficient capital the businessmen
ordered in Europe a new steam machine and started constructing a factory on
the bank of the Moskva River. In the directory «Factories and Plants of
the Russian Empire» this fact was recorded as follows: «Einem.
Partnership of steam factory for chocolate and tea cookies. Year of foundation
Partners constructed the first 3-storey building on the
Sofiyskaya Embankment. And when the production extended construction of more
spacious buildings with numerous production departments and office premises,
covered passages from building to building was started on Berseneyskaya
Theodore Einem knew well tastes of Muscovites. Hard-boiled
sweets, candies, chocolate, pastille, cookies, biscuits, gingerbread,
glazed fruits were of high demand. The trade mark got to be so well-known,
that Julius Heuss, who became the successor of Einem, left this name to his
Little by little Einem left the business and Heuss became the
sole owner, but he did not change the name of the company, reasonably
considering that there was no need to change the already known trade-mark.
In those days a working day comprised 10 hours. Confectioners,
most of whom were those who came from the near Moscow villages, lived in a
Hostel at the factory, and boarded at the factory canteen.
Managers of the factory granted certain privileges to the
- a school was opened for children-apprentices;
- a silver badge with the owner's name engraved on it was given for 25 years of irreproachable
service and a pension was granted;
- a hospital fund was formed which rendered financial assistance to those who were in need.
«Einem Partnership» successfully competed with
other confectionery magnets such as «Abrikosov and Sons»,
«A Siu and Co.» - first of all thanks to a very wide assortment
of products. Hard-boiled sweets, candies, chocolate, cacao, pastille, cookies,
gingerbread, biscuits were produced. After the opening of a subsidiary in the
Crimea (Simferopol) «Einem» began to produce chocolate-glazed
fruits - plum, cherry, pear - as well as marmalade.
At that time the sweet products were advertised by means
of the airships flying over Moscow. Special attention was paid sonorous
names and stylish packing (Heuss once took up artistic photography).
Even the theatre programs advertised this popular trade mark.
The factory had its own composer, who composed music for it.
A buyer received in a shop free of charge notes of music «Shokoladny
vals» (Chocolate walz), «Vals Monpansie» (Waltz Sugar Drops)
or «Keks galop» (Cake galop) together with hard-boiled
sweets or chocolate. The packaging was stylish. Boxes were decorated
with velvet, leather, replications of well-known painters. The products
were given such orotund names as «Ampir» (Empire style),
chocolate «Boyarskiy» (Boyar style), «Mignon».
The advertising style fitted as a fiddle to the high quality of the products.
Products of «Einem» company were awarded with
the golden medal at the All-Russian industrial and artistic exhibition held
in Nizhny Novgorod in 1896. The enterprise was allowed to bear the national
emblem of Russia on its packages. Later the factory was honored with the
right to be the supplier of the court of his Emperor Majesty.
Hospital for wounded
In 1900 factory «Einem» was given with the
Grand-prix, the highest award of the all-world exhibition held in Paris
for wide range of products and excellent quality of its chocolate.
In hard years of World War 1 «Einem» Company
carried on charitable activity: made monetary donations, organized a hospital
for wounded soldiers, sent wagons with cookies to the front.
After the October Revolution the factory was nationalized, in
1918 it was named «State Confectionery Factory #1, Former Einem»,
and in 1922 it was renamed into «Red October» (though for several
years words «Former Einem» were added in brackets - so great was
the popularity of the trade-mark and high-valued the quality of products!).
The merit of specialists who came to the factory in those hard
years, undoubtedly, was the fact that the production was not stopped: workers
control was introduced, a furious struggle was conducted against plunderers.
Already by 1925 the 1913 - 1914 level of production was exceeded.
Just in those years a lot of products «were born»
which even today comprise the «golden» fund of «Red
October»: in 1925 «Mishka Kosolapy» (Pigeon-Toed Bear)
appeared, in 1927 - «Yuzhnaya Noch» (Southern Night); in
1936 - «Stratosphere» and «Souffle». In 1920s for
the first time «Slivochnaya Pomadka s Tsukatom» (Cream fondant
with candied fruit), «Slivochnaya Tianuchka» (Cream toffee),
«Kis-Kis» (Puss-Puss) toffee appeared. These names and taste are
familiar to many generations of the buyers
In evil years of the Great Patriotic War (World War II) the
output of confectionery was practically curtailed, the factory was re-equipped
to produce military products: porridge concentrates were produced. Special
«Cola» chocolate was produced for airmen and submariners. During
the war, for valiant labor for the benefit of the Victory, «Red
October» was seven times given an honorary award - a challenge banner
of the State Defense Committee. In 1946 the honorary banner was handed over
to the factory for perpetual keeping.
V.D.Semyonov and V.I.Sanaev
were awarded by Stalin premium
for the innovation. 1950.
After the war, «Red October» developed together
with the entire country. The factory become a king of proving ground where
everything new that appeared in the confectionery industry was tested. Thus,
first integrated mechaized production lines for hard-boiled sweets and toffee
were created. In 1960s, considerable modernization was carried out at the
factory which included increase of number of storeys in the existing buildings.
As a result, new production space appeared and the factory acquired
present-day architectural outlined, which look splendid from the Krymsky
Bridge adorning the panorama of the Moskva River spit and the by-pass canal.
Years 90s are characterized by the particular increase in
production. The rehabilitation of the chocolate department was followed
by a number of the factory engineers joint designs with the world-wide
- «Haas», Austrian company, installed the new mechanized line
for production of candies of «Mishka kossolapy» (Pigeon-toed bear)
- «Buhler», Swiss group of companies, supplied the equipment
and assisted in putting into operation three lines for the production of
the chocolate paste with making use of the state-of-the-art technologies
and process automation;
- «Anton Ohlert», German company, became the factory
partner in creation of the unique complex of the confectionery production.
Joint-stock company Moscow Confectionery Factory
«Red October» acquired new partners-appeared are filials in
Ryazan, Kolomna, Yegorievsk. The products output was either increased due
to the activity of five subsidiary enterprises.
The «Golden garland» of prices and awards is a
good evidence of the fact, that the historical tradition of «Red
October» is adhered to.
The airships with «Einem» advertising have
gone in the past. However, Moskva River saw sailing three boats-exact
copies of the vessels of the Peter the Great times, bearing names:
«Mishka kossolapy» (Pigeon-toed bear), «Sadko»
and «Konyok-Gorbunok» (Hunchback horse). This action is
the evidence of the factory historical traditions. It got to be another
specific and efficient business card of «Red October».